HA3 Task1 - Mark-making Portfolio



1. Primary Observation Portraits Exercise

In this drawing I drew a person who was directly in front of me and the paper was portrait. We had to draw the person's face and make it reach from top to bottom of the paper.

This drawing required me to use three different colours to represent the shades of light of a persons eye who was directly in front of me. My three colours are Brown, Gray and Black.

In this drawing I had to draw a persons face while I had my eyes closed. The media I used in this drawing was felt tip.

This drawing I had to draw someones face who was in front of me without taking the felt tip of the page. The media I used was felt tip.

And this drawing I had to draw landscape of a persons face who was directly in front of me and the image had to meet every side of the page. The media I used in this was a biro pen.

2. Primary Observation Expressive Portraits Exercise

This was a task in which I had to get a mirror and draw my face in six different poses; Happy, Angry, Gloomy, Confused, Excited and with my tongue sticking out.

3. Primary Observation Figures Exercise

I had to draw a series of poses of people, these poses are; Sitting, Sleeping, Standing and Walking. This pose is the sitting one they are sitting at a desk using a computer.

This is the sleeping pose they are on a couch with a pillow behind their head.

This is the standing pose, they are leaning against a door with their hands inside their pockets.

This is the walking pose they are just strolling down the road and they had glasses on.

4. Primary Observation Expressive Hands Exercise

In this exercise I had to draw my hand in four different poses Anger, Peace, Stop and Okay. They had to be of my own hand from primary observation.

5. Secondary Observation Gridded Exercise

In this drawing I had to use this grid template and copy a image that was smaller than the page I had to do it on. I had to keep everything in proportion as well as it being scaled larger.

6. Secondary Observation Mythical Creature Exercise

This drawing I had to draw onto a template and make a mythical creature. This creature has the head of a peacock, the wings of a bat, the body of a human, The claws of a crab, the legs of a cheetah and the feet of a crow. 

7. Secondary Observation Tracing Exercise


These next three pictures are of me getting my picture took whilst I was doing a pose of picking something up. Then I got some tracing paper and traced around it.

8. Construction Drawing Manga Head Exercise

These images I drew are of Japanese anime characters, Male and Female. I followed a step by step tutorial to complete these characters.

9. Silhouette Figure Drawing Exercise



The next two picture I drew are of silhouette's of people I could see around me. I drew eight different poses.

I drew this when I was at home, I used the internet to find a video with a tutorial on how to draw human lips.


1. Isometric Perspective Exercise


2.Single Point Perspective Exercise

The next two images are perspective drawing of the letter F and M. They are drawn by using one vanishing point to help make it look 3D

3. Two Point Perspective Exercise

The next perspective drawing is of the letter X, it uses two vanishing points to help make it look 3D

4. Three Point Perspective Exercise

The final 3D letter drawings is of the letter H. It uses 3 vanishing points as there are a lot of angle to this letter. The use of shading helps make it look 3D.  

5. Two Point Perspective Spacestation Exercise

This image is of a 3D space station. This was made by using a pencil and a felt tip on some A3 paper. I followed a video to help get this picture finished. I had a little trouble trying to get the things in the background in proportion with the rest but the things in the foreground look fine.

6. Crated Primitive Objects Exercise 1


7. Crated Primitive Objects Exercise 2


8. Crated Primitive Objects Exercise 3


The next few images are caged pictures. I had to create a rectangle, cone, sphere and a donut inside these cages but they also had to look 3D.



1. Mark-Making Techniques Exercise

This is an image of line drawing techniques. I had to uses different types of lines to represent shade, so for example; cross hatching, dots and many more from the image above I used.

2. Blended Shading Technique Exercise


This picture is of a scene I set up of a paper plate, spoons, a fork and a knife. This is drawn using charcoal and a rubber to help establish light and dark areas.


1. Pastel Textures Exercise

This is a picture of four drawings of outdoor textures. These textures were created using oil pastels and primary observation.

Next is textures once again but these were drawn using normal pastels and of texture we could see inside. These images are of a carpet, a wooden floor, a plant and some books.


1. Party Blower Ideas Generation Exercise



The next three images are of ideas I though of with inspiration from a party blower. There are 20 images spread across 3 pages and these images are coloured in to help make them stand out. 


1. Colour Wheel Exercise

This is a picture of the colour wheel I drew. I used cross-hatching to represent the colours red, yellow and blue as well as all the colours them colours mix would make, orange, green and violet.

2. Analogous Colour Scheme Exercise

This picture is where I used colour that are adjacent to one another on the colour wheel so I used Red, Yellow and Orange.

3. Complementary Colour Scheme Exercise

This is another picture of me using colour from the colour wheel. I had to use colours that are on the opposite side of each other so I used Blue and Orange.

4. Triadic Colour Scheme Exercise

This is the final picture of the use of the colour wheel. I had to use three colours that are equally spread out from one another on the colour wheel. So I used Red, Blue and Yellow.


1. Brush and Ink Landscape Exercise




Finally this is four drawings of my college building that I painted using a brush and some ink. I had to make the scene fit through out all four of these pages and have it in the right proportions.